Re: [idn] SLC minutes

Hi Tedd,

----- Original Message -----
From: "tedd" <tedd@sperling.com>
> Now, the question is specifically: "Why is upper case <OMEGA> mapped
> to lower case <omega>?"

It doesnt have to map to lower case.  It could map to upper case.  In fact
it could be mapped to some other code point too if that also needs to be
mapped.  We should however come up with a general strategy for Character
Equivalence mapping, for example, if there are 4 codepoints that could be
considered "equivalent" in perception then it will be mapped to the lowest
codepoint regardless whether it is uppercase or lowercase...

> For example, what's the difference between "w.com" and "w.com"?

I would argue that there is no difference perceptually.  That is the precise
reason why there needs to be character equivalence mapping.
Which means that all four codepoints: <W> <w> <OMEGA> <omega> should be
preped so that if a person registered:

<W><w><OMEGA><omega>.example

no matter how he represented it, (e.g. wwww.example) people will still be
able to get to the unique domain.

> If one was trying to solve a problem here, then I claim they didn't
> think it out. Now, point out where I'm wrong.

You are not wrong.  We are talking about the same thing I think...

Edmon

> tedd
>
> --- you posted
>
> >Character Equivalence mapping is to deal with this issue:
> >
> >A registrant registers a domain <ALPHA><BETA>.example
> >Advertises it to other people as their capital form AB.example
> >An end user will not know whether it was Greek or English and attempts to
> >access the site with ab.example and does not get to it.
> >
> >With Character Equivalance mapping, this situation would not occur.  No
> >matter how a domain name is represented, it is always unique.
> >
> >Bear in mind that this need to happen only during matching of names
within
> >the DNS server.
> >
> >A registrant can register <ALPHA><b>.example all they want.  This is the
> >misconception that I wanted to point out.  Character Equivalence mapping
> >does not prohibit mixed scripts.
> >
> >Edmon

mapping,