Re: [idn] Canonicalization: [28] through [31]

At 10:40 26/06/00 , James Seng wrote:
>Since we have consensus on canonicalization, I suggest that the statement
>above to be rewritten as
>
>For canonicalization, the protocol MUST comform to Unicode Technical Reference #21.

OK

>It SHOULD be done before the request enters the
>DNS service interface.

To achieve interoperability, canonicalisation MUST be done at
a single well-defined place in the DNS resolution process.  One
could imagine either doing it in the client resolver or in
the server.  Whichever place is selected, this must be
really clearly specified for us to have global interoperability
with the DNS protocol.

Your proposal appears to say it is in the DNS resolver client.
If I understand your proposal, then in light of the interoperability
issue, the above quoted sentence needs to be changed to read:

         Canonicalisation MUST be implemented and performed in the
         DNS client resolver such that all on-the-wire DNS requests and
         DNS replies are always in canonical form.

Ran
rja@inet.org