Re: epg choosing wrong encryption keys

At Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:22:24 +0200,
Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> I've been transitions from mailcrypt to epg over the past few weeks.
>
> It's been reported to me multiple times that epg chooses the wrong
> keys to encrypt to.  Initially, I thought that it would choose the
> wrong key when I didn't have a key with the corresponding email
> address locally.  (In this case, mailcrypt would complain.)  But, I
> just sent an email to someone whose key I have on my keyring (Werner
> Koch <wk@gnupg.org>) and it instead choose "Sam "Eddie" Couter
> <eddie@debian.org>" (which, of course, is also on my keyring).

I tried purging the Couter key from my keyring to see if wl would
either start acting correctly or throw an error.  wl now chooses
another key.

> The only other pattern that I've recognized is that this has happened
> when I sent the mail to multiple people.  I typically use a to: line
> for each recipient.  I don't know if this is the problem.

This time the mail was only to a single recipient.

I was talking to Werner Koch about this problem.  He also uses easypg,
but uses Gnus rather than Wanderlust.  He said he hasn't seen any
problems like this with Gnus and suspects that the problem is with
Wanderlust.

Note: an easy way to see to whom the messages are actually encrypted
is to just run gpg on the raw message (in your sent folder save the
raw message (using y) and then from the command line run gpg
~/tmp/XXXX.eml).  I'd be interested to hear if others are also seeing
this problem.

Neal