TLS: checking a self-signed certificate

Hi,

I've just upgraded to Debian Jessie.  When I connect to my mail
server, gnutls now complains that it can't verify the server's
certificate ("The certificate is NOT trusted.  The certificate issuer
is unknown.").  I don't want to enable insecure mode as I've
apparently been using so far.  Instead, I want gnutls to check the
certificate, which I have saved locally.  I can't figure out how to do
that, however.  I suspect that it has something to do with
'ssl-program-arguments', but I can't figure out the magic incantation.
I thought I could just pass --x509certfile /home/us/mail.pem, but I
get the same error.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Neal