Re: best practices for wanderlust+gmail

At Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:59:28 +0000 (UTC),
John Owens <john_owens@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There are terrific guides to setting up Wanderlust with Gmail. WhatI'm missing, though, is best practices for how to *use* Gmail withWanderlust given its differences from traditional IMAP. Any thoughtsfrom those who have been using it for a while would be appreciated.
> - Gmail uses labels not folders. How does this impact WL usage? Is it  typical to use 'O' to set a label, possibly several labels, and then  archive the message?
> - It seems popular to "archive" everything in Gmail (possibly after  it's labeled). Do wl/Gmail users have a particular setup so that 'o'  always goes to the archive, or another keystroke?
> - Searching (IMAP search) in one giant archive seems like a headache.  Any setup that makes WL searching more tractable, or do users just  turn to Gmail's (excellent) online search through their mail?

Hi John,

I can’t help much with your first two questions, but I can say that
recent changes to WL will allow better search with gmail by using
gmail’s query language. If you run a recent (git) version of WL, you
can try:

  (add-to-list 'elmo-imap4-search-keys "x-gm-raw")

You can then send raw gmail searches to your “all mail” folder.

You might also find that my “wl-fastfind” library makes this a little easier:

  https://gist.github.com/egh/46c6ced69402a92c0ec6

I am going to try to get this incorporated into the WL core soon.

best, Erik

--
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.