Re: SMTP port specification

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 07:03:19PM +0100, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 12:08:31 -0500

> 1. You cannot use %-folders if you don't use an IMAP4 server.
> 2. And you cannot create folders on a POP3 server.

Herbert, thanks for the clarification. What's why I asked what those
folders were for. For someone who has never needed them, it was easy
to assume they were necessary or useful.

> Why are you not fetching mails with getmail/fetchmail and store it in
> a local Maildir folder?

I guess the reason is I have no reason to because I don't use maildir.
Fetchmail hands the incoming mail over to exim, and it gets stored in
/var/spool/mail/<user>.

> <http://www.gohome.org/wl/doc/wl_23.html#SEC23>

Does wl use maildir by default, but if so, wouldn't it create those
directories when installed?

> You can run wl in offline mode; e.g mails that are sent "unplugged"
> are stored in the Queue folder. The default value is "+queue" (MH-folder):
>
> <http://www.gohome.org/wl/doc/wl_22.html#SEC22>

> Do I really have to explain a draft folder? If you want to store sent
> message you have to set wl-fcc (or Fcc).

Sorry to be dense. The word "draft" sounded like mail ready to be sent
but not yet sent. If I have a draft of a paper I've written, it
implies it is written but not yet accepted by the publisher.

My current .wl:

  (setq smtp-debug t)
  (setq debug-on-error t)

  (autoload 'wl-user-agent-compose "wl-draft" nil t)
    (if (boundp 'mail-user-agent)
      (setq mail-user-agent 'wl-user-agent))
    (if (fboundp 'define-mail-user-agent)
      (define-mail-user-agent
        'wl-user-agent
        'wl-user-agent-compose
        'wl-draft-send
        'wl-draft-kill
        'mail-send-hook))

  (setq wl-smtp-connection-type 'starttls)
  (setq wl-smtp-authenticate-type "login")
  (setq wl-smtp-posting-server "mail.HistoricalMaterialism.info")
  (setq wl-smtp-posting-port "587")
  (setq wl-local-domain "HistoricalMaterialism.info")
  (setq wl-message-id-domain "HistoricalMaterialism.info")
  (setq wl-from "Haines Brown <Haines@histomat.net>")
  (setq wl-message-id-use-message-from nil)

Whether I use plain or login authentication, when I send a message I
get this error.

  [smtp-server recipients id err smtp-sasl-user-name
  smtp-sasl-mechanisms wl-draft-write-sendlog failed smtp
  smtp-response-error 535 elmo-remove-passwd format "SMTP:%s/%s@%s"
  signal server mechanism user] 6)

I don't know how to read this error. I assume that if I can receive
mail, the name of the SMTP server, my UID and PW are all correct, for
that information is the same for the POP and SMTP servers. The only
difference is the port number, and that is to be defined in .wl. Or is
the error in the recipient's ID? Does "wl-draft-write-sendlog failed"
 mean a failure to write to sendlog, but it does happen. Is the error
in password format?

Haines