Re: wl newbie, various questions

At Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:14:30 -0600,
Ken Gunderson wrote:

> At Sat, 16 Jun 2012 14:05:11 +0200,
> Jonathan Groll wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 19:43:54 -0600, Ken Gunderson <kgunders@teamcool.net> wrote:
> > > Be all that as it may...  recent versions of T-Bird sport a
> > > "conversation view" feature.  This would be dandy to have in
> > > Wanderlust.
> >
> > How does it differ from reading a threaded summary buffer?
>
> Most gui'zed stuff these days stashes a copy of your outgoing into a
> "Sent" folder.  T-Bird's conversation view creates a virtual view
> which composes an thread for the conversation pulling from both INBOX
> and Sent folders.  And it does this +/- "automagically" if you're
> reading any particular message and call it up (Ctrl-o, I think??).
> This view is ephemeral and goes away when you're done, leaving all
> messages in their respective folders w/o refiling anything.
>
> I'm pretty sure Wanderlust can emulate same but I'm still pretty new
> to it myself and haven't got around to investigating it.  Moreover,
> I'm not sure I even want to maintain the "Sent" folder for outgoing
> messages management paradigm, as once upon a time I had Sieve scripts
> filing everything on a per context basis into respective folders.

Hi Ken,

There is support for this feature in my new-imap4-search branch:

  https://github.com/egh/wanderlust/blob/new-imap4-search/wl/wl-conversation.el

It’s not automatic: you press X on a message and get sent to a
“conversation” view. It depends on having a) an “all” folder on your
IMAP server that can be searched. gmail supports this, and so does
dovecot, via the virtual folder feature.

It also depends on having decent server-side search speed. I currently
use dovecot 2 with lucene search. Somebody could probably easily
modify it to work with, e.g., mu, which would probably be pretty
speedy.

I’ll have a look at getting this stuff merged upstream.

best, Erik
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.