delete items from summary, not from mail server?

Wanderlust decided to download all of the mail summaries, but it
appended this information at the bottom of the summary buffer, when
there were already quite a few items there previously.  Is there a
good way to permanently delete items from the local summary buffer,
but not from the mail server?  I just think it would be nice to start
with the message number "1" at the top of this buffer (now that I have
it!).