Re: diagnosing emacs hangs

At Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:18:41 -0400,
Matt Price wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> Hi all,
>
> I'm now using emacs for almost everything and of course that's great,
> except that it is essentially a single-threaded OS that currently HANGS
> with some frequency (100% CPU usgte that will continue for hours if you
> let it go.  I think this probably has something to do with wanderlust or
> possibly org-mode (and/or misconfigurations i've made to both of these);
> but at present i cna't be sure since i have no idea how to diagnose
> these hangs.  Can someone give me some general directions on how to
> proceed with the diagnosis, and if you have them, some pointers on how
> you fixed a similar problem that you used to have?  Right now it's very
> frustrating -- I find myself losing substantial amounts of work when I
> kill emacs & maybe more importantly, i'm constantly losing my train of
> thought.
>
> This is all under Ubuntu Lucid with emacs-snapshot 20090909,
> wanderlust=wl-beta 2.15.9+0.20100303, org-mode 6.34c (some of htese are
> debian sid packages).

I would suggest trying the Emacs 23.1 packages in Ubuntu Lucid
(currently 23.1+1-4ubuntu7). I use wl and org-mode from the CVS and
git repositories, respectively.

I used to get hanging problems like you describe, but I don't anymore;
I can always C-g whenever Emacs is not responding. I *think* this
corresponded with moving to Emacs 23. I never found a way to diagnose
them.
--
Richard Lewis