Problem opening wanderlust: can't load wl-news

Hello,
I've been trying to use Wanderlust, largely with instructions from
http://box.matto.nl/emacsgmail.html

I have Aquamacs Emacs 1.9 on Mac OS 10.6, and after working at it for
a few hours, I finally discovered that I needed APEL, FLIM and SEMI,
so I (believe I) installed apel 1.7, flim 1.14.9, and semi 1.14.6 (the
latest versions that I was able to find). This fixed an earlier
problem I had, but now when I try to open Wanderlust (M-x wl), it
starts loading things up and concludes that

"Cannot open load file: wl-news"

Did I not install something correctly? Is there something I need to
add to my .emacs file besides what is mentioned in the above link? I
tried it with Wanderlust 2.14 and then later a newer version dated 17
Mar 2010, but without success.

I'd greatly appreciate any help

Thanks
-cb