Switching away from Wanderlust?

I am thinking of switching to the notmuch mail client, because WL
development is virtually dead and its search seems to be way slower
than notmuch.

But WL has some nice features. Two things that might convince me to
stay are:

1. faster search

2. an active development tree - if necessary, a forked one

How likely do you think it is that I will see either of these things?
Does anyone have any suggestions for faster search?

Also, apart from re-enabling threaded mode, how can I configure WL to
behave more like notmuch?
--
Robin