Re: New fragment header, was: Re: Evolution of the IP model - ICMP and MTUs

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   Ok, this is what the new fragment header would look like:

=> I deeply disagree: what is needed here is a fragmentation (or
segmentation) at the transport level, not a new network transport-aware
beast. Note, as the issue exists only for UDP, what is needed is
a segmentation capable UDP-like, or, perhaps far easier to deploy,
add in all UDP based applications an application level segmentation
support. The last option is to switch to TCP / SCTP / etc.

Regards

Francis.Dupont@fdupont.fr

PS: not local UDP based applications I know are:
 - NFS: simply switch to TCP
 - DNS: with EDNS size negotation, TC bit, DNS over TCP, etc, it should
  work but it seems there are still many problems from not-compliant
  parts.
 - IKE: UDP is a bad choice from the beginning but the message is not
  yet decrypted (:-).
 - Radius: should be local, shouldn't it?