Re: [BEHAVE] next steps for ipv4-ipv6 co-existence and an interim meeting

Jari Arkko  le (m/j/a) 8/20/08 3:07 PM:

With this in mind, I see the following short term next steps:
- Mark and I will produce a scenarios document that describes what
situations we must solve
- SOFTWIRE WG will be rechartered to add a work item on dual-stack
lite/snat (token: SOFTWIRE chairs)
- Progress the spec on dual-stack lite/snat (token: authors)
- For the rest, we need a written analysis of the overall design space
(token: Dan Wing and Alain Durand have agreed to do this)
- Progress the specs for the different translation-based proposals,
based on feedback in Dublin (token: authors)
- More discussion is needed on implications of "carrier-grade NATs" in
the pure IPv4 space

Did I miss anything?

Just a detail, but IMHO worth validating.

Can it be assumed that the last but one item "Progress the specs for
the different _translation-based_ proposals..." is in practice open to
a proposal that avoids translation?

The reason for the question is the proposal that is worked on, following the APBP presentation in Dublin, with interest expressed in particular by Teemu Savolainen and Gabor Bajko of Nokia.

With it, translation is completely avoided in scenario 1.d of Mark's presentation (DS host accessing the IPv4-only world through an IPv6-only cloud). This transparency of global IPv4 across tunnels is naturally seen as a positive point of the design.

Regards.

Rémi Després