Re: The poor state of IPv6 apps (so far)

Jeroen Massar wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

[Why are you actually sending this to the IETF Operations list and not to either the CentOS support lists or other Linux-specific lists which most likely can actually resolve your problem? users@ipv6.org also comes to mind here]

Oh, I am talking a lot on the Centos mailing list.

More just letting a little of my feeling of dismay known to those working diligently on deploying IPv6..

But your mention of ipv6.org reminds me that I wanted to go there....

Disclaimers:

   * I am newly dedicated to working with IPv6, and recently got my /48
     allocation to my home lab.
   * I am currently only working with Centos (v5.2) systems.
   * My 1st main goal is to have P2PSIP (and SIP) running over HIP over
     IPv6. And where IPv6 is not available to use Teredo.

There are probably more I should list up there, but it will do for starters. I am using the HIPL code in userspace, as the BEET IPsec patch is not yet in the Centos kernel (BEET is in, but it needs the patch to work right).

So I need IPv6 apps, and have been having a terrible time of it. I can list where I am so far, if there is interest (or help available!), but I do not have a single IPv6 client/server app running yet after two weeks of work.

Then I would suggest that you get a distribution that actually supports IPv6 correctly. Debian (unstable) is doing this already for years. For that matter, a simple combination of Apache2 + Firefox should work on any platform you can find.

CentOS should also though. Also don't expect anything experimental/fairly new (HIPL etc) to just be included in a distribution per default.

Friday, I decided that IPv4 was just getting in my way to find working IPv6 apps (until I need to test in a Teredo environment), so I tried to disable IPv4.

Why would one, today, want to disable IPv4? Unless you are going to proxy every single application (SOCKS comes to mind to solve that), it will not work. See also the threads on 4to6 and other proposals from the last couple of months on this and other related lists (RRG for instance).

> Looks like I cannot, even when I do not start the network
service, the loopback device is available with both IPv4 and IPv6 loopback addresses (even when I commented out all references that I can find for the IPv4 loopback address).

A lot of applications only work on IPv4 and IPC on a lot of Operating Systems use the loopback interface for communication, you thus won't be able to turn that off easily for the next couple of years.

I find this unsettling. Kind of like an IPv4 forevermore position, with IPv6 kind of sometime.....

The IETF's position has for a long time been to suggest dual-stack deployment.

Greets,
 Jeroen