Re: Thoughts on IPv6 Address Assignment to End Sites

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 03:23:04PM -0700, Fred Baker wrote:
> Third, I have been the humble recipient of lectures from time to time
> on the difference between an prefix allocation and an address or
> prefix assignment; Alice allocates prefixes to Bob who in turn assigns
> them to networks and the interfaces they contain. Allocations can be
> expected to be more or less permanent while the allocation
> relationship is maintained, while assignments can change with the
> direction of the wind. In this document, the two words appear to be
> used interchangeably. Should you uniformly use the word "allocation"?

In RIPE land, an "allocation" is given to a provider (usually a RIPE
member), and end user will only ever receive an "assignment".

This is established terminology here, but I'm not sure how this is used
in other RIR regions.

Since this document talks about "space given to end users", the proper
term for that, *in RIPE land*, would be "assignment".

Gert Doering
        -- RIPE address policy WG chair
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  128645

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279