RE: v6-v4 transition scenarios, take 2

The NAT box would be a natural location for the ISATAP
router function, and I don't think entirely out of
the question for change given the benefit. But, I'm not
entirely sure that it is the only location; I will have
to study more on what is meant by "Internet Connection
Sharing" on Windows, for example.

>I agree with you - ISATAP is absolutely appropriate inside customer
>networks that have IPv4-only internal routing equipment, but have an
>IPv6 capable NAT box and hosts, and at least a single IPv6 /64.
>
>It is not clear to me how ISATAP can be used between the ISP and the
>customer CPE, should that CPE support ISATAP. My understanding
>is that
>ISATAP gives hosts single addresses, not a /64 as would be
>required by
>a second ISATAP domain, or by a subnet behind the CPE.

ISATAP is about *hosts* receiving a single IPv6 address
with an embedded IPv4 address. VET is about *routers*
receiving IPv6 prefixes for sub-delegation on their
site-internal interfaces:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp-14

The ISP/CPE routing region would use VET, which can be
thought of as ISATAPv2.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com