Re: v6-v4 transition scenarios, take 1

On 29/07/2008, at 1:51 AM, Pekka Savola wrote:

As an observation after writing this, I'm focusing pretty much only on client-server type applications because I've yet to see p2p or other _inter-domain_ applications that are business critical. Another reason may be that I don't know them in detail, and that will likely require application-specific transition scenarios, not just ALG extensions. But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise...

(Also RE. other comments in this thread about p2p)

Some time last year I was talking about IPv6 in bit torrent. At APNIC26 in Christchurch, NZ I'm hoping to talk about some research I'm doing with that at the moment, which will hopefully provide some insight in to whether we can start recommending that ISPs break IPv4 end-to-end, and pushing peer-to-peer protocols on to IPv6. Indications from my brief look at this last year are "yes, we can". Further, I hope that we can encourage p2p software vendors who are holding off (Skype, etc.) to update their applications to support IPv6.

I'll post any data etc. I have to the list when it's in a form that makes sense to people other than myself.

--
Nathan Ward