Re: draft-durand-dual-stack-lite-00 general comments

On 7/27/08 2:43 PM, "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <rdenis@simphalempin.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 27 July 2008 20:25:15 Pekka Savola, you wrote:
>> Nit: It's not clear why Section 4.1 suggests using 0.0.0.1 as source
>> address.  The CPE box is going to have some address on the LAN
>> interface and it could just as well use that.
>
> By the way, my Ubuntu PC refuses to accept 0.0.0.1 as a valid address. I
> reckon the same operating system is found in certain CPEs.

This address is mainly used in the case a device -that-is-not-behind-a-CPE-
wants to initiate the tunnel. In this mode of operation, dual-stack lite is
a very simple alternative to NAT-PT.

Now, I suggested 0.0.0.1, but this may not be the best choice. I will
probably end up asking IANA to reserve an address for this.

  - Alain.