Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Antonio Querubin wrote:

Why would a single PC be precluded from benefiting from multicast service if it's connection were tunneled? While there may not be a direct benefit to the end-user, the alternative means a content provider would have to plan to support more unicast clients. Even service providers benefit from reduced bandwidth in their core regardless of whether multicast customers at the edge are just single PCs.

If you want to deploy native IPv6 multicast in your network, that's your
prerogative. I am not looking at limiting other peoples' choice, I just want ability to choose the functionality I feel is important for me (and for others in the end).

Of course multicast over tunnels works, it's just that normally a tunnel is terminated fairly centrally in the network, and replicating 10-20 meg HDTV streams doesn't really scale in that topology. You want the replication to happen as close to the customer as possible (DSLAM, ethernet switch etc). I see TV as the main driver for multicast, and doing that over tunnels is just not feasable to me.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se