Re: changes to draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-pb-statement-req-00.txt

Alain Durand escribió:

On 7/17/08 11:29 AM, "marcelo bagnulo braun" <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> wrote:

How is this different from the dual-stack lite mechanism? See
draft-durand-dual-stack-lite-00.txt, section 3.2

I don't know
I am working on the requirement draft, not on solution space.
So do you think we need to include this in the req draft or not?

Well, I'm not sure. If you are talking about the requirement for a NAT
v6->v4, then I would say no, but add a pointer to my draft.
it is not only a translation requirement draft
read the draft, find out  and comment :-)
Second question, if you have that, why is it not enough and why would you
still need to do any IPv6 to IPv4 translation?

well, it seems that you will be having legacy IPv6 hosts (i.e. no new
mechanisms) that are running IPv6 apps that want to communicate with v4
hosts that are running ipv4 apps and in that case, this doesn't seem to work

The only thing that is required for dual-stack lite is a v4/v6 tunnel that
is present on most implementation I know, so no new code is needed.
And if this is still a problem, you can always use a router upstream to do
the encap for you.
but you would need to have v4 on your hosts, right?

the assumption for translation is that you have v6 only nodes on one side

regards, marcelo

  - Alain.