Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-pb-statement-req-00.txt

Hi Brain,

thanks for the comments, i am working on this

see comemnts and a few questions below...

Brian E Carpenter escribió:
Hi,

A few comments:

2.1.  Transition scenarios

   There are six obvious transition scenarios:

I think we can avoid off-topic reactions by changing this
slightly:

   There are six obvious IP layer transition scenarios:

done

and adding underneath something like

   Transition scenarios involving the use of upper layer proxies
   have their place, but are out of scope for this document.

done

2.1.3.  Transition scenarios that require translation

I think there's a point that should be made in this section:

In practice, it is highly likely that addresses will be in short
supply in the IPv4-only domain, and therefore that address sharing
and port mapping will be required. These functions may or may not
be combined with the IPv6-IPv4 translation function.

done

3.3.  v4 addressing consideration
   ...The case where the v4-only node has a
   private v4 address and the NAT64 box has a public address seems also
   possible, but here it seems reasonable to assume that a NAT box will
exist between the v4 only node and the NAT64 box.

There is an alternative assumption which is that traditional NAT
(v4 to v4) is embedded in the NAT64 device. There is a difference,
because then the NAT64 is aware of the address and port mappings
(and that opens some possibilities, as SHANTI and MNAT-PT show).

added that the nat44 can be colocated with the nat64 box

3.4.  Name-space considerations

   One of the major choices that are faced when designing a NAT4
   mechanism that enable communication initiated by the v4-only node
   towards a v6-only node.  In this case, the v4 only node needs to
   identify the v6 only node and the problem is that there is no means
to permanently map the v6 address space in the v4 address space.

Well yes, that is unsolvable, so let's not try to solve it.
This returns to point about port mapping - if you want the NAT64 to
support incoming sessions, the number of sessions is limited by
(number of ports)*(number of IPv4 addresses). In DNS, the IPv6-only
servers will have to be represented by a shared A record for each
IPv4 address. That doesn't require a DNS ALG. But it does require
defined mappings for inbound ports. That's NAT 101, and the mapping
to IPv6 doesn't change it.

right, not sure if you want me to do somehting about this in the document?
   o  R2.2: Translation mechanim must support v4-initiated short-lived
      local handle (as defined in Section 3.1). (not clear if there is
      consensus for this)

I think that if we're going to do this at all, it needs to be symmetrical,
so I hum for this.

ok

same question that i have done to Dan, do you think servers can be located in v6 land or only peers? (i.e. p2p applications with v4 and v6 peers)

   o  R2.2.1: v4 initiators can either use IPv4 public addresses or IPv4
      private addresses and use a NAT.(The acceptance of R2.2.1 is
      subject to the acceptance of R2.2.

As noted above, that does *not* imply a separate NAT; it could be combined
with the NAT64.

cahnges nat by nat function, ok?

thanks, marcelo
  Brian