Re: FW: I-D Action:draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-00.txt

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Wes Beebee (wbeebee) wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org] On
Behalf Of Brian E Carpenter

Hi, some comments on other points.

                        Before forwarding a packet
   in any direction from CPE router, the CPE Router will perform a MAC
   rewrite operation that rewrites the source L2 address of the packet
   with CPE Router's WAN or LAN interface MAC address.

I also don't understand that sentence. Surely a router moves an L3
packet from one L2 interface to another, and removing and creating
L2 headers is nothing to do with routing as such?

<wb>
Yes, but it's only a router that performs a mac rewrite. A bridge or
switch does not do that. That is why such text exists in our draft. We
would like to keep it.
</wb>

Is 'rewriting' actually a valid description of what's happening? Suppose one of those interfaces has no MAC?

Antonio Querubin
whois:  AQ7-ARIN