Re: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Shin Miyakawa wrote:

Please note well that, if you'd like to assign a global IPv6 unicast address
to the LoopBack interface,
because loopback is the diffrent from LAN links behind the CPE,
we have to assign at least two /64 prefies to the CPE
(one /64 for LAN, one /64 for loopback, assuming that a /64 is the minimal unit
of prefix delegation).

I want to assign either a /56 or /48 per residential user.

So, this consumes more than
"one Global address for the WAN interface with one /64 for LAN" (as
I called this as "1+/64" or for some reason, "1+/64s") model.

How do you think about this fact ?

I think it's very important that customers are able to use multiple IPv6 subnets in their home for a lot of reasons, where a DMZ might be one.

Or forget about the loopback interface and use the CPE's LAN interface in
the weak host model case ?

That works for me as well, as long as the customer only originates globally routed traffic from the PD assigned block, I'm fine.

Also, by doing link-local, I hope to save TCAM space in the distribution/PE router as well. Each adjacancy it has to keep will afaik consume router resources, not having a globally routable WAN address saves at least one TCAM entry, plus perhaps one more because my ACL in on the subinterface will not have to allow for both the customer /56 as well as the /64 and the link-local, it can now only allow for the customer /56 and the link-local, that's probably one more TCAM entry saved.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se