Re: Neighbor Discovery and on-link determination

Hi Erik,

I'll put both answers into one email:

If routerA sent a ND to routerB and the source address of the ND if off-link, populating the Neighbour Cache will not achieve any real functionality. Yes, I'd propose it is ignored by the router. Possibly we could trigger a unsolicited Neighbour Advertisement from RouterB? I cannot see any impact on redirect or proxy service functionality and I really see this as a misconfiguration.

With respect to your other email and my security concerns: if the receipt of a ND or NA on any interface, irrespective of prefix list, were able to both populate the Neighbour Cache and update/affect the forwarding behaviour then I would be worried. Seeing you have both clarified this was not the intent I do not have an issue, but it does seem of little benefit to populate a Neighbour Cache entry if it is never consulted.

I know the scenario is contrived however it was brought to my attention from another source, so the clarifications are appreciated.

Best Regards,

-David