Re: Use of extended prefix lengths

The DHCP server in Cisco's CNR supports prefixes of any length (up to / 128).

- Ralph

On Jun 5, 2008, at Jun 5, 2008,1:35 PM, Dunn, Jeffrey H. wrote:

Janos,

Which server did he use?

Best Regards,

Jeffrey Dunn
Info Systems Eng., Lead
MITRE Corporation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mohacsi Janos [mailto:mohacsi@niif.hu]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 1:26 PM
To: Dunn, Jeffrey H.
Cc: v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Use of extended prefix lengths

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Dunn, Jeffrey H. wrote:

Colleagues,

I was discussing the possibility of using IPv6 prefix lengths greater
than 64 bits with some colleagues and wondered if anyone had any
experience with doing so.  Specifically, has anyone tried it?
Thoughts?

One of my colleague tried /126 with DHCPv6 address assignment and it
seems
to be mediocre success:
Linux (Dibbler) client was working almost alright - with some extension
Windows Vista failed  - not really supporting longer prefix.

for point-to-point links prefix longer than /64 was worked without any
problem on Cisco boxes.

Best Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and
Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882

Best Regards,

Jeffrey Dunn
Info Systems Eng., Lead

Center for Enterprise Modernization