Re: Automatic selection of transition mechanism?

On 26/03/2008, at 1:41 AM, <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com>
<teemu.savolainen@nokia.com  > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As we now have a set of mechanisms to transport IPv6 over IPv4
> standardized, and as it seems we will probably end up having a set
of
> mechanisms to access IPv4 destinations over IPv6-only access
(MNAT-PT,
> SNAT, NATv4v6v4.), has there been discussion already how a host that

> implements multiple transition technologies should efficiently and
> automatically discover which mechanisms to use in access networks it

> happens to attach (and move between)?
>
> Is the current state of the art just: trial & error, provisioning by

> non-IETF means, or as defined by other SDOs for their systems?

There is some work in the IETF done time ago regarding this topic. It
can be found at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans-02  It
explains how an auto-transition mechanism should work.

Regards
Miguel

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !