Re: Automatic selection of transition mechanism?

On 26/03/2008, at 1:41 AM, <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com > wrote:

Hi,

As we now have a set of mechanisms to transport IPv6 over IPv4 standardized, and as it seems we will probably end up having a set of mechanisms to access IPv4 destinations over IPv6-only access (MNAT-PT, SNAT, NATv4v6v4…), has there been discussion already how a host that implements multiple transition technologies should efficiently and automatically discover which mechanisms to use in access networks it happens to attach (and move between)?

Is the current state of the art just: trial & error, provisioning by non-IETF means, or as defined by other SDOs for their systems?

There hasn't been a reply to this yet, so I'll fill the void.

I haven't kept up to date on the new stuff that people are talking about, SHANTI, (M)NAT-PT and so on.

Windows does a fairly reasonable job, by doing roughly:
- Look for ISATAP.<domain>. If it exists use ISATAP.
- If we have a non-RFC1918 address use 6to4.
- Last resort use Teredo.

That seems to be a reasonable approach. The one big bug is if the non- RFC1918 address is filtered, NATed, etc. 6to4 will generally fail to operate.

--
Nathan Ward