BOUNCE v6ops@ops.ietf.org: Non-member submission from [Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi.denis-courmont@nokia.com>] (fwd)

From Remi.Denis-Courmont@nokia.com Thu Mar 27 10:41:13 2008
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?R=E9mi_Denis-Courmont?= <remi.denis-courmont@nokia.com>
To: behave@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] ICE and v4v6NATs
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:40:43 +0200
Cc: "ext marcelo bagnulo" <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>,
        IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>

Le Wednesday 26 March 2008 20:34:42 ext marcelo bagnulo, vous avez =E9crit=
=A0:
In the v6ops WG we are defining the requirements for next generation v4
<-> v6 NATs.
One issue that it is not clear to use (among many), is what level of ICE
support shoudl be required, or what type of interaction between these
boxes and ICE should be required.

Quick note: ICE packets are integrity-protected: the only thing a middlebox=
=20
can do with them: IP/port number changes, and/or drop/delay transmission.=20
Unless the middlebox is willing to re-do SHA1-hashing _and_ learns the=20
hashing material off-band from the "signaling channel", such as the chain o=
f=20
SIP proxies.

The scenario that we are considering is the following one:

 +----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
 |           v4 Internet            |         v6 Internet           |
 | +------+                   +------------+               +------+ |
 | | IPv4 |                   |   NAT64    |               | IPv6 | |
 | | only |-------------------|  v4 |  v6  |---------------| only | |
 | | node |                   | Translator |               | node | |

Now, would it be possible to use ICE in this scenario?

There are two ways:

UNSAFish way: One node obtains an IP/port mapping within the other realm, a=
nd=20
provides that mapping to the other node, as an ICE candidate.

ALGish way: ICE candidates are translated on the signaling path. Ugly.

=2D-=20
R=E9mi Denis-Courmont