Re: NAT64 and IPsec support

On 2008-04-01 05:43, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>

> please see my earlier response to George. This really hinges on the
> exact functionality assumed on the v6 host. What I don't understand is,
> once you decrypt IPsec traffic which was originated by a v4 host, you
> are getting honest-to-God IPv4 packets. There is no magic that will
> convert encrypted packets from IPv4 to IPv6 in flight. So you need a v4
> stack to deal with these packets, it's not just a matter of
> understanding IPv4 addresses. What am I missing?

I don't think you're missing much, although I was suggesting that
by redesigning both IPsec and IKE we might find a mixed-mode
solution.

However, there is certainly an alternative to the whole NAT-PT
line of attack, which is to say that the solution is
a) all IPv6 hosts MUST be dual-stack
b) when connectivity to legacy IPv4 is required, and the host
is on an IPv6-only network, it MUST use an IPv4-in-IPv6 tunnel
c) which MAY be terminated by an IPv4 NAT, so that
the lack of IPv4 addresses is not an issue.

SOFTWIRE+BEHAVE

    Brian