Re: 3177-bis

1. The idea is that ISPs MAY deploy prefixes that exceed /48; NOT that they MUST do it (your employer will remain free to avoid doing it).

For this, the advice of IAB/IESG to RIRs expressed in RFC 3177 MUST be
updated in some way. (revised, modified, deprecated... whatever.)

2. There was, back in 2001, what has been felt as a majority of reasons
for the "one size fits all" recommendation.
But, now in 2008, none of these reasons has become decisive, and reasons
to recommend "flexible prefix lengths" have become more numerous and
more decisive.

One of the new reasons is that deployment of longer than /48  prefixes
has actually taken place, indeed pleasing both customers and their ISP.

A /48 is, that is a fact, better for a customer site than longer a prefix, but having IPv6, be it with a longer prefix, is much better than having no IPv6.

3. Personnaly, I now use IPv6 on a regular basis, in particular to reach
Google and the IETF site, which I use frequently. Thanks for this to the open attitude of my ISP on prefix lengths (and to the user friendly dual stack of Apple in Mac OS X).

Regards.

Rémi

Mark Smith wrote :