Re: 6rd - Rapid Deployment on existing IPv4 infrastructures - a new approach

Hi Rémis,

On 12 feb 2008, at 21:27, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

Lets clear: /64 subnet at the CPE plain simply SUCKS. Badly.

Next thing is IPv6 NAT, when people try to "cascade" access points/ routers within their home network. Like it or not, CPEs MUST get more than / 64, and
MUST support downstream prefix delegation.

Last time I checked, Free was not assigned the whole IPv4 address space. I assume they don't want to provide the Rapid Deployment service to customers of *other* ISPs. So while they do only have a /32 IPv6 prefix, they don't need to burn 32 further bits to keep track of each of the IPv4 address of
each of their customers. Storing the 24 lower order bits should be
sufficient. And this leaves 64-32-24=8 rouable bits per customer.

No, /24 is still too much (only two or three ISPs have that much IPv4 space) and too little (fills up an entire IPv6 /32) at the same time. What should happen here is that the actual allocation size is used. So if an ISP has a /19, they use up /56 - /19 = /37 for the customers in that /19.