Re: 6rd - Rapid Deployment on existing IPv4 infrastructures - a new approach

Anand Kumria wrote :
Hi Rémi,

On 2/12/08, Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr> wrote:
The I-D is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-d​rafts/draft-despres-v6ops-6rd-i​pv6-rapid-deployment-00.txt

Perhaps I am being very dense but how does this work, considering:

- you (free.fr) have a /32 from RIPE-NCC
- you have a IPv4 address (for the CPE) encoded in 32 bits

The network portion of your 64 bits is now gone.
Yes.
Until Free a shorter prefix than /32 frpm the RIPE, their customer sites have only one IPv6 link (but this is sufficient to most). Now that Free has received a shorter prefix they can change their 6rd ISP prefix and will be able to permit multiple subnets in their customer sites.

You've lost the ability to specify your IPv6 6rd prefix?

I realise that you've set aside a portion your the address space
contained with the (i.e. RIPE-NCC+110/36) to be what you use for
"Pure" IPv6 so, what do you specify to your CPEs as the 6rd ISP
prefix? The whole /32 allocation?

The 6rd ISP prefix is the /32 itself.
Since none of the v4 addresses they assign starts with 1110 there is no confusion.

Rémi