Re: CPEs

On 2008-01-07 22:38, Shane Kerr wrote:
On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 09:26:26AM +0100, Leo Vegoda wrote:
On 4 Jan 2008, at 16:32, Shane Kerr wrote:

[...]

11. Do we expect ISPs to provide reachability for a new and old
prefix concurrently when changing prefixes or do ISPs provide
long-time stable prefixes to IPv6 customers? If "no" on both, then
how do we avoid disconnected sessions on prefix changes?
Personally I like the model of providing reachability for both old
and new during renumbering. But... since an ISP only gets a few
thousand /48 at a time, they may be faced with resource scarcity,
and not have the space (GROAN!!!!).
On the whole, ISPs assign addresses for the period during which you
pay them for a service. I doubt there will be any resource scarcity
leading to revoked assignments while end-sites continue to pay for
service from their ISPs. I don't think an alternative where random /
48s move around between different ASs is a good model to promote.

Well, the scenerio I'm thinking of does not involve a new AS. For
example, if your ISP opens a new site closer to your home, they may
want to route your connectivity into the new site, which could very
well involve renumbering.

So, Ilijtsch's question is important.

I am told that today the best way to do such a migration in IPv4 is
for ISPs to pick a time to move customers to the new numbers, and use
ever-decreasing DHCP lease times to insure that users renumber as
close to that time as possible - but not to overlap the address spaces
for any time.

IPv6 was designed to be able to allow end hosts to more-or-less
painlessly migrate between addresses. I don't know if this has been
widely tested (I suspect not). Plus, unless there is some clever work
on both the ISP and customer side, a renumbering can affect the end
site.

Again, my preference is to support both old and new addresses during a
renumbering, but I don't know if IPv6 is mature enough technology,

See RFC 4192.

or
if we have enough space after squandering so much of it.

Huh? The canonical model is for multiple prefixes per site;
there isn't any issue about it.

    Brian