Re: CPEs

On Jan 7, 2008, at 08:11, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
Le Friday 04 January 2008 14:34:38 Iljitsch van Beijnum, vous avez écrit :
Security

1. Do we all agree that a model where there is stateful filtering by
default, but applications can request incoming sessions is what we
should aim for?

It is pretty clear at this point, that there will be stateful firewalling in many SOHO deployments. As such, we clearly need a hole opening mechanism. Or then we close the IETF transport area, and declare that there shall only be
UDP and client-to-server TCP from now on :o

What I am really worried however is, if we don't clearly state HOW stateful firewalling should be done, or if we do, but vendors ignore us, we'll end up
with the same issues as with IPv4+NAT:
- UDP working "client-to-client", but with battery-hungry short refresh
timers,
- TCP only works client-to-server only (so client-to-client congestion control
is non-existent at the transport layer),
- everything else does not work reliably.

I concur.

2. Or should the opening up of incoming ports go through the OS,
rather than be signalled directly from applications to the CPE?

I don't understand the question. The OS will always be sitting between the application and the CPE in any case, by virtue of providing the socket API,
the network stacks and drivers, and possibly the local firewall.

This is already happening in the OS for IPv4/NAT. That's where the NAT-PMP and UPnP IGD support is coded. Application developers aren't rolling their own implementations of those protocols. They're relying on the OS to provide them with APIs.

I see no reason to burden application developers with new requirements just to use IPv6 instead of IPv4/NAT.

3. Should a host have the option of signalling to a CPE that it
doesn't require any filtering?

It would probably be useful in some scenarios.

No. No, no, no. Firewalls don't care what nodes think are their filtering requirements. Policy is decided by the firewall administrator and enforced in the network middlebox.

The *only* reason for nodes to signal anything to a firewall is to give it a chance to be more transparent than it would otherwise be without the signaling. Nodes can tell firewalls things like "I'm accepting arbitrary incoming flows at this network address [these transport addresses]." That allows firewalls to get out of the way *IF* policy allows. Without such signaling, no policy is possible and stateful firewalls must resort to blocking all incoming flows because they don't know which are solicited and which are not.

5. Can we assume the presence of DHCPv6 prefix delegation in CPEs?

No.  Or, at least, not yet.

6. Can we assume the presence of DHCPv6 address assignment in clients?

No.

No.

It's not available in most of them now, so how would we get to such a
state and how soon?

I think we won't get to such a state that we could assume pervasive DHCPv6.
What's wrong with giving ICMPv6 autoconf for end nodes anyway?

Nothing.

7. Is the model where there is a CPE with modem functionality but not
router functionality a reasonable one?

Maybe it depends on the definition of CPE. There are non-routing modems, and there are SOHO routers without modems, and I assume they'll continue to
exist.

8. Do we want to ISPs to provide RAs to customers in the case where 6
= no and 7 = yes? If not, then what?

Maybe if the end node is dumb and does not do DHCPv6, it could be required to need a CPE? I suppose general purpose computers have or will have DHCPv6 at
some point. Not sure about, say Apple though.

Mac OS X does not support DHCP6.  I can't say when or if it ever will.

16. How do we expect customer devices to enter into the DNS?

I am not sure we need DNS here.

It's a luxury item.

18. Should IPv6 hosts be prepared to operate without a working reverse
DNS entry?

They'd better do it, because there are deployed IPv6 networks without reverse
DNS. Especially if the host uses privacy addresses.

We're going to need privacy addresses once IPv6 worm authors start harvesting target addresses from server logs and honeypots.

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering