Re: about draft-baker-v6ops-l3-multihoming-analysis-00

On Nov 21, 2006, at 10:03 AM, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
First, i think that the draft makes a good job in identifying that not all multihoming sites are the same...

Thanks for your comments. I think you and I very much agree that there are different requirements. For example, I think that a Fortune 100 company probably has the same address-independence requirements as an ISP has, while a homeowner changing his IP address when he moves from house to house seems very reasonable.

I went through your comments, and concluded that while you and I don't fully agree, our disagreements were relatively minor. For example, I don't think of renumbering as "costly", as it is something my company does from time to time and doesn't find so. But I do think of the complexities of remembering and managing all the places where one writes down an IP address. Early in the note I found myself arguing with you in the same direction as other comments you made later in the note.

What this tells me is that we haven't got a very good requirements document. The requirements on the table don't describe traffic engineering requirements at all, and the requirements in RFC 3582 have several problems.

What might be helpful (thinking out loud here, not making a pronouncement; I wonder what people think) to the community at large would be a requirements document or set of documents that discusses not "requirements of a multihoming solution" but "addressing and routing requirements of an end to end network". It would have to discuss traffic engineering, from the perspective of saying what requirements were reasonable and solvable and what were not. It would have to discuss backbone and access ISPs and their business models, the requirements of large companies, the requirements of SOHO networks, and would have to at least wonder whether there was a zone in between. In the end, it might provide advice on AS number assignment among other things.

In the end, there are a small number of solutions that can be looked at generally to provide a scalable address management architecture. The one we are looking at right now suggests the numbering of ISPs and asking smaller edge networks to manage multiple prefixes overlaid within them. Looking at the discussion of address selection discussion that Arifumi is leading and the parallel discussion of an update to BCP 38, I think that has some serious questions. The exchange-based addressing model I mention in the draft has some issues in the business model and in creating what amounts to another kind of overlay network. GSE depends, for scalability, on rewriting part of the source address in a datagram, which helps with a number of the routing problems but begs the question of how the transport associates a request with a response. For example, if I use networks 1 and 2 and you use networks 3 and 4, and I send a message from 1::me to 3::you and get a reply from 4::you to 2::me, how do I identify that the datagram I received is a reply to the same session? Doing so requires the Endpoint ID to truly be globally unique, which is a tall order, or it requires some form of dongle at the transport layer that addresses the issue. One could imagine the locator/id separation resulting in a mandate for the use of IPSEC integrity mode to inform the transport's multiplexor. The one thing that doesn't scale is the one thing we are doing now, which is having the RIRs assign prefixes to SOHO networks.

What we are trying to do in this is inform that discussion.