Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-04

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 01:58:17PM +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote :
> > As Fred has pointed out, NAT is functionally
> > equivalent to a stateful firewall.
>
> Errmm, NAT do no more than stateful firewall, and are in many but not
> all case so close to it that can be considered equivalent. But it's not
> always so. In particular, stateful firewalls tend to be more strict as
> to what they accept as a "solicited response" from the outside toward
> the inside than NATs.

Indeed.  If you look at draft-ietf-behave-udp-08.txt (in RFC editor's
queue), those recommendations very specifically recommend designs
where the inbound packets will be accepted from a wider set of
addresses and ports that would be strictly required (by traditional
apps) by inside-to-outside communication.

I raised this issue during IETF LC, but this was not changed because
p2p-like apps seem to require more relaxed behaviour for easier
interworking.