Re: draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02.txt

Hi all,

I've reviewed this document and my comments are as follows.

1. Introduction
"giving out an excessive". I think we need to define excessive and/or say if
this is an objective or subjective perception.

A general comment/opinion. I don't think this document should be published
as is, because it provides a bad message to the market about IPv6 assignment
recommendations not being stable. I will be in favor of a "smaller" revision
of RFC3177, not so much disruptive as this one, but in the other way around,
discouraging /128 and /64 assignments.

I think the motivations behind the /48 are still valid and one of the main
goals of IPv6 addressing space is to ensure enough space to end-users, which
is only ensured with a clear boundary recommendation.

Furthermore, the lack of a clear boundary disrupts the RFC3177 goal of
ensuring a consistent subnet to facilitate management and renumbering. In
practice receiving a new assignment from and ISP w/o a specific
recommendation will be a big source of troubles if different ISPs decide to
do different things. Take the case of a user moving from an existing ISP
with today provides a /48 to a new one.

In addition, as an end user, it provides a recommendation to ISPs to provide
a reduced service in terms of the number of subnets, instead of the actual
/48 recommendations (with a clear example for /56), which I think is very
bad, especially when it is based in a subjective view of "excessive".

I also think that the lack of clarity in stating that more than a single /64
is required in most of the cases is going to be wrongly taken as a "go for
/64".

Regards,
Jordi