From: "Margaret Wasserman" <margaret@thingmagic.com>
Date: June 28, 2006 5:17:16 PM EDT
To: <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
Cc: "'Tony Hain'" <alh-ietf@tndh.net>, "'Tim Chown'" <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, "'Radia Perlman'" <Radia.Perlman@sun.com>, "'Alex Zinin'" <zinin@psg.com>, "'Erik Nordmark'" <erik.nordmark@sun.com>, <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com>, "'Dave Oran'" <oran@cisco.com>, "'Bill Fenner'" <fenner@research.att.com>, "'Jari Arkko'" <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, <david.kessens@nokia.com>
Subject: RE: Review of draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-02.txt

Hi All,

As I understand it, there is a current proposal in the v6ops WG (in
draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-03-draft0.txt) to publish the following recommendation:

   There are other possible scenarios for the extreme situation when a
   network manager also wishes to fully conceal the internal IPv6
topology. In these cases the goal in replacing the IPv4 NAT approach
   is to make all of the topology hidden nodes appear from the outside
to exist at the edge of the network, just as they would when behind a
   NAT.

   o  One could use explicit host routes and remove the correlation
between location and IPv6 address. In the figure below the hosts would be allocated prefixes from one or more logical subnets, and
      would inject host routes to internally identify their real
      attachment point.  This solution does however show severe
      scalability issues and should be limited to uses with
substantially fewer than the maximum number of routes that the IGP
      can support (generally about 50,000).

[...snip...]

                             Internet

                                 \

                       +------------------+
                       +------------------+  for topology
                                 |           hidden nodes

               Real internal  -------------+-
               topology       |            |
                              |           -+----------
                   -----------+--------+

The more I think about this proposal, the more questions arise, such as:

(1) Do we really mean that the router in this picture would be a "simple gateway or home agent"? I don't think that is consistent with the idea that
it could handle 50,000 routes.  Or that it would run an IGP, for that
matter.

(2) What mechanism would hosts use to inject host routes into the IGP? How
is that secured?

(3) How will local nodes know to use topology-specific ULA addresses for local communication? What happens if they don't? Could this result in a large amount of internal traffic bouncing off of the "simple gateway or home
agent"?

(4) How does this interact with multicast traffic and ND. Can a node on the "logical subnet" send a link-local multicast packet on the logical subnet and safely assume that it will reach all of the nodes on that subnet and no
one else?  If not, how does this interact with ND?

(5) Would autoconfiguration be used on the logical subnet, or would hosts be
expected to get those addresses through other means?

(6) What advantages (if any) does this approach have over using a single subnet internally and using L2 switches and VLANs to handle internal packet delivery? What disadvantages does it have when compared to that approach?

(7) How does this proposal relate to the work currently underway in the
TRILL WG?

If we decide that we actually want to make this recommendation, I'd prefer
that we remove it from this document and make this recommendation in a
separate document that covers the scalability issues, the answers my
questions above, and any other factors that may affect the applicability of
this solution.

Margaret