RE: Review of draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-02.txt

I agree!  I'm a firm believer in the need for IPv6, but
I get a deja-vu knot in my stomach when I hear some IPv6
evangelists (such as at an IPv6 Summit) talking about the infinite
address space and great applications it enables.  There is
breast beating about Jon Postel wantonly handing out
Class A's to buds in IPv4 land and yet I see the same kind
of large chunks of IPv6 land being distributed freely.
Perhaps we're letting the RIR's head down the same road?
/64's for serial links!  15 quintillion addresses where 2-4
will suffice?!?!?!

What's scary are the applications that give addresses to every
retail item so it can be tracked during it's lifetime.  No
reuse of addresses is contemplated (because they're infinite).
Imagine the ultimate usage, where nano-things in aerosol sprays each
have an address that is literally "cast to the wind".  Is there a
/70 or /80 in every can of this stuff?  Why is there no built-in
mandatory recycling of address space for these applications?

We're undoing CIDR-like usage.  Hierarchical addressing is
going to be wasteful by nature.  I don't know how the IETF
can influence the RIR allocation policy, but it's scary
how much history seems to be repeating itself.  We're
at the early end of the cycle, so it may not seem to some
that we're handing out addresses with both hands, but we are.

Walt Lazear