From: Fred Baker [mailto:fred@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 10:00 AM
To: Templin, Fred L
Cc: Elwyn Davies; Vishwas Manral; v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Status of Operational issues with Tiny Fragments in IPv6

yes. And DEQNA was in no sense the only one; Cisco routers to this
day have a capability in RIP to insert time delays between RIP
updates due to issues in Netware, in which some PC NICs had trouble
with back to back packets. As I say, those were different days.

The matter of minimizing the number of packets required to represent
a transport message, however, remains real. Especially in wireless
networks, there are a number of issues that result in a per-datagram
probability of loss that is to some degree independent of datagram
size. Sending less network layer datagrams per transport message
improves the probability of delivering the entire transport message.
That is the bottom line of the inspecific ruminations people
frequently make about "fragmentation problems" and preferring
transport-layer fragmentation and reassembly to network-layer
fragmentation and reassembly. So it seems like carrying that
recommendation forward has value.