Re: Status of Operational issues with Tiny Fragments in IPv6

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Vishwas Manral wrote:
I did notice the issue being raised in the security overview section.

Firstly it is not just a security issue but issue for all middle
boxes. Also I think security overview probably is not the best place
to specify the solution to the problem. The point I bring forward is
that we need not just a problem statement but also a solution of how
to deal with it.

FWIW, I agree that we can describe the problem (which is mostly security-related) in the overview, and already do, to some extent.

This is our charter items 2 and 3. This WG isn't chartered to specify (in the normative sense, e.g., altering RFC 2460) the solution, it should likely be done by IPv6 WG or an int-area work item. I'd fully support a clean-up of the IPv6 specification (including more than just this issue), but I think folks need to talk to the Internet ADs on whether they feel this is the right thing to do and which way to go about doing it.