Fwd: IANA considerations confusion

FYI. I don't think this is especially relevant in this WG, as we don't do protocols. But if you have issues with IANA considerations, you might read the I-D for guidance.

Begin forwarded message:

From: <Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com>
Date: May 24, 2006 1:30:44 AM PDT
To: <wgchairs@ietf.org>
Subject: IANA considerations confusion

Hi,

During the past two months alone, I've encountered two different
cases where a document author, even having read RFC2434, believed
that the "IANA Considerations" section has to include only new
registries created in the document, but not values registered in
existing registries.

In one of these cases, this mistake was not caught until well after
the RFC had been published (the authors had provided "suggested"
values instead of TBD-BY-IANA). Fortunately, IANA had not yet
allocated these values for any other document.

Thus, I'd recommend pointing your document authors to the much
better instructions in draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis,
and checking the documents extra carefully if the IANA Considerations
section does not include any registrations in existing namespaces.

Or even more strongly: if the document only creates new registries,
I'd suggest including an explicit "This document does not require
IANA to assign any values in existing registries" statement.

Best regards,
Pasi