RE: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, James Jun wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Iljitsch van Beijnum [mailto:iljitsch@muada.com]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 1:21 PM
To: james@towardex.com
Cc: ppml@arin.net; global-v6@lists.apnic.net; v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

On 14-apr-2006, at 18:09, James Jun wrote:

How about you start operating a real network and feel the pain of your
enterprise customers who require usability?

How about you do a "show ip bgp" and experience some pain of your own?

IPv6 is a failure

IPv6 was created so we could continue to have an internet when we're
out of IPv4 addresses. We're not out of IPv4 addresses yet. How can
IPv6 be a failure at this point?

because of
ongoing FUD regarding so called 'routing table explosion' that even
IPv4 is
still susceptible to,

We've managed to make a fairly big mess of IPv4 in 25 years. Yes, it
still works but it's not pretty. IPv6 is supposed to last a lot
longer than 25 years, so explosions of any kind are to be discouraged.

Yes, discouraging customers from multihoming and delivering
reliability--that appears to be the common message from a good portion of
IPv6-advocacy groups.  IPv6 is still IP, and not anything different than
IPv4 other than a color: more address space.  If it is all of a sudden going
to require shim6 or similar, and discourage multihoming like the way it
happens today in IPv4, it certainly does not help.

There is some solution to provide some form multihoming for IPv6:
3178 IPv6 Multihoming Support at Site Exit Routers. J. Hagino, H.
       Snyder. October 2001. (Format: TXT=24453 bytes) (Status:
       INFORMATIONAL

This solution is not very pretty, but you can keep the aggregation at Tier-1 and probably at Tier-2 porviders.

Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98