Re: AW: Guidelines for Numbering IPv6 Point-to-Point Links and Easing the Addressing Plans

Hi,

I read this short doc. I don't believe it's necessary, but if there's something important there, it could be added to the addcon draft.

I believe the /48 assignment suggestion below is technically incorrect. The ISP router, when it gets a packet destined to anything except the first /64 will inccorrectly try to use Neighbor Discovery to find the address, instead of forwarding it to the customer router. This can't possibly work unless the customer router is using proxy-ND.

=======
   Moreover, it is possible to use the shorter prefix as the provider
   side numbering for the point-to-point link and keep the /64 for the
   customer side.  In our example, it will become:

   o  Point-to-point link at provider side: 2001:db8:aaaa::1/48

   o  Point-to-point link at customer side: 2001:db8:aaaa::2/64
========