Re: IPv6 Unicast Address Assignment Considerations

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:01:19PM +0000, Tim Chown wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 10:16:26AM +0100, Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve) wrote:
> >
> > At 18:12 7/03/2006 -0800, John Spence wrote:
> >
> > >*) Also in 1.0, you know that ARIN is considering portable address to
> > >address the multihoming issue - right?  Not done yet, but I'll bet it goes
> > >through.
> > >
> > >http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2006_4.html
> >
> > Is there an indication when they will happen? I think the draft should
> > follow
> > as its implementation oriented, but not lead as long as the ARIN decision
> > is not fallen.
>
> I've been following this through some Internet2 contacts, and it seems
> to have dragged for at least 12 months so far.  So if it does happen, I
> wouldn't bet on it being soon.    I think the draft can say no such
> process exists now for PI, but that some scheme may emerge over time.

	the I2 folks are pretty good, but it is possible to get the
	information directly from ARIN, indeed, ARIN seeks for direct
	input.

	this issue is on the agenda for the next ARIN mtg (08-13apr2006)
	in Montreal. http://www.arin.net/announcements/20060313.html
	and one does not have to physically be present to participate:
	http://www.arin.net/announcements/20060310.html ...

	from my cursoury review of the mailing list discussion, there is
	strong member desire for PI space... and policies are set by the
	members.

--bill