Re: Guidelines for Numbering IPv6 Point-to-Point Links and Easing the Addressing Plans

Hi Vincent,

See below, in-line.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Vincent Jardin <vincent.jardin@6wind.com>
> Organización: http://www.ipv6.6WIND.com/
> Responder a: <owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
> Fecha: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:30:38 +0100
> Para: <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
> CC: "v6ops@ops.ietf.org" <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
> Asunto: Re: Guidelines for Numbering IPv6 Point-to-Point Links and Easing the
> Addressing Plans
>
> Hi,
>
> Please, this draft should metion:
>   - the cases when there are only link-local addresses
>
>   - because it is mainly focus on ISPs cases, it should describe too how
> it fits with Prefix Delegation: my recommandation would be not to put
> any addresses ont the point to point interface (there is already
> link-local addresses which are enough for routing protocols).

I disagree regarding using link-local addresses, is very confusing when you
do a traceroute and you can even see the same addresses in different
customers in different links (if de ISP decides to use a fix IID for each
side).

This has been also the feedback that we got from different ISPs.

>   - there are some drawbacks of putting an IPv6 /64 on the provider side,
>        + because you will create loops if redirection is not properly
> implemented on point to point interfaces (I mean a good implementation
> and configuration should never send redirect packets)
>        + because you will loose the support of the anycast address
> sub-network. It means that the LNS or BAS will answer instead of the CPE.
>
>   - what's about the support of the anycast address sub-network ?

The /64 is in the customer side, not the provider one, which uses /48.

>   - what's about multi-links to a same site ? For instance, we know some
> cases where you have 2 point to point links with ECMPv6 for load
> balancing. Section 4 cannot be applied in that case.

Not sure what do you mean with ECMPv6. I will check it out tomorrow, I'm off
line now.

> FYI and from my experience, for ISPs, it is useless to number the IPv6
> links. Only link local is enough.  From an implementation point of view,
> you just need to add a reject (or blackhole) /48 route for each users
> through each interface. Because you have a same route through many
> interfaces, you will have the benefit of ECMPv6 support.

I think this is what actually I'm proposing then ;-)

> Maybe, it could be useful (and I do doubt), to number only the IPv6
> point to point links that are more used for infrasturcture (GRE, 6in6,
> L2TP/VPN, etc.).
>
> Regards,
>   Vincent
>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We have submitted before yesterday a new draft, it seems is
>>> still not available at the IETF repository, but meanwhile,
>>> the document can be reached
>>> at:
>>> http://www.consulintel.euro6ix.org/ietf/draft-palet-v6ops-poin
>>>

>> t2point-00.txt