Re: Guidelines for Numbering IPv6 Point-to-Point Links and Easing the Addressing Plans

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:41:59AM +0100, Bonness, Olaf wrote:

> >    4.  Routing Aggregation of the Point-to-Point Links
> >
> >    Following this approach and assuming that a shorter prefix is
> >    typically delegated to a customer, in general a /48 [4], it is
> >    possible to simplify the routing aggregation of the point-to-point
> >    links.  Towards this, the point-to-point link may be numbered using
> >    the first /64 of a given /48.
> >
> > using the first (or any) subnet of a larger prefix, breaks the
> > conceptual model of DHCP prefix delegation. the prefix is delegated to
> > the requesting router and cannot be used to number the link between
> > the delegating and requesting router.
>
> My assumption from a service provider point of view would be to use a dedicated sub-preaefix (e.g. /48)of my own aggregate to address the point-to-point links (e.g. /64)  to the custumers (in the case I have to do this).

And if the customer prefix being 'easy' to relate to the point-to-point
link address is important (though one assumes this is all tucked away
nicely in some db :) you could presumably look at doing something like
using the 16 bits assigned for the customer /48 as the 16 bits used
to identify the /64 under your carved out /48 for point-to-point links?

--
Tim/::1