Re: How to differentiate traffic in NAT-PT box?

Hi,

From our experience and implementation into the 6WINDGate software, you should not try to link the DNS ALG with NAT-PT. Moreover, DNS ALG and NAT-PT could be into 2 different routers: 1- one module or router is used in order to process the DNS AAAA requrests and it provides a reply with a NAT-PT::/96 prefix in order to route the packets to a NAT-PT translator (router, module, etc.) 2- another module or router is just an IPv6/IPv4 translator based on the NAT-PT::/96 prefix

Instead of 1, for some services, you can replace dynamic DNS ALG by static IPv6 intries into your IPv6 DNS, these entries are just NAT-PT::A.B.C.D.

Regards,
Vincent

xiao bin wrote:

For some packet, the device can judge whether a packet need ALG by the protocol number in the packet header.

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* haofeng Zhang <mailto:hfzhang.cn@gmail.com>
    *To:* v6ops@ops.ietf.org <mailto:v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
    *Sent:* Friday, February 10, 2006 11:16 AM
    *Subject:* How to differentiate traffic in NAT-PT box?

    Dear all,
    I have a problem regarding to NAT-PT and ALG.
    In the RFC2766(NAT-PT spec), nat-pt box cooperates with ALG to
    deal with some application carrying IP addresses in payload. But
    for the operation of nat-box box, how can the box differentiate
    which kind of traffic needs to be processed by ALG and others
    needn't? Or the nat-pt box just send all traffic to ALG module and
    leave the differentiation problem to ALG?
    I don't find the clarification in the spec. So if answer is the
    latter, does it means a big waste of device resource? After all,
    usually only the signaling traffic needs to be processed by ALG.
    So any kind of help is appreciated.

-- Best regards,
    Zhang haofeng