Re: New draft on embedding the RP address in IPv6 multicast address

At 09:31 PM 10/16/2002 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
No: most switches by far work *just* fine.

Only if you want snooping features, or the switch uses a broken logic (see
the issues draft) you have problems..
Well over a year ago we ran into situations where a normal Access Grid traffic would overrun a 10 megabit/sec switch port. At the time the hosts were listening to RIP broadcasts to learn their default route. The congestion on those 10 megabit/sec switch ports was *SO* bad that the hosts lost their RIP default route.

Darn right I want packets on a segment to only go to the appropriate output ports. If I wanted a single collision domain I wouldn't buy a switch.

===
Bill Nickless http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7 nickless@mcs.anl.gov