Re: Proposed 6to4 work (security)

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 02:45:50PM -0700, Alain Durand wrote:
> There are also some issues aboout RFC3068, as there are very little
> public relays
> available today. We need to understand if this is just because we are
> still very
> early in IPv6 deployment or if it is because there is a fundamental problem
> in the model.

>From what I have heard so far, there may be a couple of reasons:

 - there are only few 6to4 users yet, so the existing relays seem to
   suffice

 - more and more ISPs are trying to roll out "real" IPv6, so those
   do not perceive a need to deploy 6to4 in their networks and their
   customer networks (or they just don't even know about 6to4)

 - some people that run "classic" tunnel brokers have experimented with
   6to4, and have closed down their relay due to abuse reasons (DoS
   attacks against IRC servers) - classic tunnels are easier to trace
   back.   This problem could be solved by having *many* relays, and
   thus making it (maybe) easier to trace back the abuse to the
   source.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  47686  (47095)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299